Wauwatosa City Directories Historical Database
This web application allows you to search through portions of Wauwatosa City Directories published between 1892 and 1992. Once you agree to the terms and conditions below, you will be able to perform a searches using three different search tools, which will retrieve Adobe Acrobat (PDF) files that you can save or print.
Search Types and How to Use Them
- Basic Search: Allows you to search the database by: Last Name (first three letters), Telephone Number Listing (first three digits) and Street Name (first three letters of street name) You can narrow your search results by providing a year range or a specific year by selecting the year in the drop-down menu provided.
- Year and Page Search: If you know the database page number and year, this option allows you to search the database by Advertising Listing, Last Name, Telephone Number and Street Name.
- Advanced Search: This option is similar to a Google search and is very flexible in that conducts a full-text search of the database. For example, a search for John Howard will return all documents with both John and Howard in them. A search for "John Howard" (with quotes around the terms) will return only documents with the words matching that exact phrase.
Helpful Tips Before You Start
- One-Click Search Toggling: If you'd like to move between searches, just click on the titled search bars on each page. This will reveal the search box for that option, as well as detailed instructions.
- Where Are My Search Results? Search results are displayed beneath the search box. Depending on your monitor size, this may require you to scroll down the page to the results table.
- Pop-Up Warning: PDF files are retrieved through a pop-up window, which appears after you click on a returned document. If you have
a pop-up blocker, it may prevent the window from opening, so be sure to enable use of pop-ups during your session.
- What's In a Date? In 1932, Wauwatosa switched from a local address numbering system to the Milwaukee
County numbering system. So, if you want to search the database for an address
in Directories published prior 1932, search for the address in 1932 and use the
number in parenthesis to search through directories published in previous years.
About The Database
The Wauwatosa City Directories Historical Database was completed utilizing funding from a United States Environmental Protection Agency Community-Wide Brownfield Site Assessment Grant for Petroleum Substances awarded to the City of Wauwatosa in September 2009 (Cooperative Agreement Number 2B-00E90001). The grant was funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009.
By clicking on the link below, you acknowledge that the information contained in this application may not be used for personal or corporate profit. You further acknowledge the copyright of the publisher and agree not to reprint without express written permission.